Beyond the shell

“The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.”

– Samuel Johnson


I don't remember when I got bitten by the travel bug. It was probably on some cold winter afternoon while I was napping comfortably on a charpai(a kind of campbed) on the tiny terrace of my house in delhi. It must have been a huge,poisonous one, 'coz the bite is still fresh and itches every once in a while. Talk about lasting damage.

Anyway, once the itch begins, no medicine works. The only solution that I have found works wonders is simply packing my bags and heading off someplace, far from home. Pure, utter bliss.

I've loved wandering off to places for as long as I can remember. Blessed with parents who love seeing places, every holiday was spent in some new place, instead of the comfortable confines of the house.Sometimes, it was well known tourist destinations, sometimes a random place someone had told us about. For quite a few years in the middle, thanks to the school certificate exams, college, et al, the thirst for travelling was quite latent. It was the Discovery travel channel that brought back the itch and now a few months without a wander, reduces me to a screaming, moody, stress freak.

Writing about my experiences wasn't something that came up out of the blue one morning, as I was sitting on some secluded beach. It's something that I have been contemplating about for at least 2 years. But then, my ever faithful companion, Procrastination( who hovers around my head, whispering sweet "do nothings" in my ear) has never allowed me to put these constructive thoughts into action( big surprise :))

This is a traveller's blog, maybe even a wanderer's blog and not a tourist's. So what you would not find here is- famous places to see( the sightseeing kind), information about souvenir stores and where you can find good indian food/punjabi food/ burgers and pizzas.What you will find though is what the place felt like - the experience of being there.

Will end this post with one of my favorite quotes by one of literary world's geniuses.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
– Mark Twain


Hope you enjoy reading this!

Unroute to faith

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Just got back from a trip.. Not the relaxy, beachy kinds; more like the functional religious ones a lot of us Indians so frequently undertake.
But sometimes, even religious trips do more than justifying your conscience( Yes we are all sinners to the core :)). With an open mind and a strong desire to break the monotony of work life, you can pretty much find green pastures in the most barren lands.

Just a few words to that...

The subtle summer morning chill
The orange gleam from within the trees
A strange calm in utter chaos
Reflecting inner peace
Flowers and incense
An intermingling of fragrance
Thought dissociates
The mind deviates
Evil undone
Fear overcome

A blazing sun that burns the skin
A warm breeze through my hair
Faith draws, from the corners of the earth
Silent wishes in the air
Dry lands as we go by,
A parched earth lets out a solemn cry
Hope runs strong
And faith abounds
For greener tomorrows
An end to sorrows..

0 comments:

Post a Comment